We’re hiring a new Programme Manager!
Scottish BAME Writers Network is looking to hire a new Programme Manager for our non-profit organisation. This position will assist with programming duties for our 2021 ‘Staying Connected’ programme.
This is primarily a remote role with some attendance at venue-based events (after lockdown is fully eased). Please only apply if you are based in Scotland.
Given the specific duties of this role, we will be looking for candidates that can speak to BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour) experiences. Please be mindful, and carefully consider whether you are the best candidate for this job posting.
Please note that we are a fully intersectional organisation – please read through our Safer Spaces policy before applying to check if we’re a good fit for you.
The successful candidate will be hired for 20 hours per month at a rate of £15PH. We have no set Rota; these hours can be worked at your convenience within reason. The contract is for 10 months (March – Dec) with renewal for the 2022 year (pending funding).
Please note that at present we have a small staff and, therefore, work as a committee. The Programme Manager will lead on some strands of our programme, but generally our committee works closely, and makes decisions, together.
All our part-time staff assists with the following:
- Basic admin, such as using our management tool (Asana)
- Participation in the SBWN Committee WhatsApp group and monthly meetings
- Staff is welcome, but not required, to contribute to the SBWN blog
The responsibilities for role as Programme Manager:
- Corresponding with our partners and maintaining partnerships through meetings and calls
- Organise and coordinate SBWN regular programming (blogs, workshops, live events and so on)
- Looking over submissions for our opportunities and programming, and making selections
- Taking turns with fellow staff to act as event host, whether online or in person, and correspond with guest bloggers/edit blog posts
- Write or approve news pieces, articles, and other media written or representing the network
- Problem solving with fellow staff members, and working as a team
The Successful Applicant
Event and workshop programming experience is an asset. However, we know how difficult it is to get experience in such roles in the creative sector. If you are passionate about this work and willing to learn, think you either have, or can acquire, the below skills with our help, and you can see yourself excelling as a Programme Manager, please apply. We are always committed to up-skilling fellow creatives. Please also get in touch with us if you have any questions.
- Has experience within the literary industry as a performer or published writer (This includes all mediums. It is not required that applicants have a full-length book.)
- Has experience with event and workshop programming
- Has strong organisational skills, as well as an ability to prioritise and adapt to new situations
- Enjoys working with others, including other staff, partners, and our network members
- Is comfortable being one of the faces of our organisation, and being a point of contact
- Why are you interested in this position?
- What skills and qualities do you have that make you a good candidate for this position?
- What is your vision for the future of SBWN?
This position has a start date of 1st March 2021. We aim to respond to all applicants by the week of 15th February.
The Scottish BAME Writers Network is committed to promoting diverse, equal and inclusive spaces and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, all ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, religions and beliefs. We particularly encourage people from underrepresented communities to apply, including but not limited to, people from BAME (Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic), LGBT+, &/or disabled communities, women, ‘working class’ &/or non-binary people.