We’re pleased to offer a free, 3-hour, online Masterclass led by the talented Dean Atta! Sign up here! Please be mindful when booking. This is a workshop for writers of colour based in Scotland (or who would be based in Scotland outside of Covid-19 circumstances).
Writing Young Adult Literature
Dean Atta will be discussing his award-winning debut novel in verse, The Black Flamingo, how he made the move from writing personal poetry to writing fiction, as well as the differences between writing for adults and teens. He will also share his insights on working with white editors and publicity teams. For the writing exercise, you will be creating a character, about whom you will write a three-part poem, with a beginning, middle and end. There will be time at the end for a 30 minute Q&A, so get your questions ready!
- This event will be three hours long, as opposed to our regular 2-hour workshops.
- The workshop includes a 15min comfort break
- The event will conclude with a 30 minute Q+A discussion between Dean Atta and the participants about any aspect of professional writing, poetry and publishing. Please think of questions you would like to ask.
- A maximum of 15 spaces, open to writers at all levels.
- This workshop will be hosted online using Webex (instructions will be sent to participants closer to workshop date).
- All SBWN events will adhere to our safer spaces policy. You can learn more about our policy here.
- If you have any accessibility requirements or needs then please let us know at the earliest opportunity so we can do our best to accommodate.
- Please only book a ticket if you can commit to the session, and cancel it if your plans change. Our Masterclasses are very popular, and there is always a waitlist. Please keep this in consideration.
To participate in the online event, you will need:
- A good internet/wi-fi connection
- A laptop, computer, tablet or mobile phone to join by audio and video
- Please email us your access requirement: email@example.com
About Dean Atta
Dean Atta was named as one of the most influential LGBT people in the UK by the Independent on Sunday. His debut poetry collection, I Am Nobody’s Nigger, was shortlisted for the Polari First Book Prize. His Young Adult novel in verse, The Black Flamingo, won the 2020 Stonewall Book Award, and was shortlisted for the CILIP Carnegie Medal, YA Book Prize and Jhalak Prize. Find Dean online at @DeanAtta