This intermediate craft seminar will invite participants to build more inclusive, representative worlds in their writing. Sign up here!
Please be mindful when booking. This is a workshop for Black writers and writers of colour based in Scotland (or for people who, pre-COVID, would have normally been resident in Scotland).
Join Katalina Watt for this 1.5-hour, online intermediate craft seminar!
In this interactive world-building seminar, you will be invited to build an inclusive and representative world from the ground up. This workshop is aimed at writers of all levels and experiences.
Using free writing exercises including open questions and prompts to stimulate creativity, we’ll layer up worldbuilding so participants can go as detailed as they would like/feel comfortable. There will be opportunities between each level of layering to feedback and share worldbuilding choices and elements as a group.
Participants are welcome to contribute however they prefer – cameras and/or mics are not obligatory, participants may use the raise hand function to indicate they wish to speak (if by mic) and can use the text box if they prefer. Exercises will be provided as a written handout so participants can continue to build on the foundation established during the session.
Essential items include: access to the internet, a working camera and mic, and pen and paper
- There is a max of 22 spaces.
- This seminar will be hosted online using Zoom (instructions will be sent to participants closer to the event date).
- There are two types of tickets: Free tickets for writers on low-income and Pay What You Can (Suggested £5+).
- Our free events are very popular and have a waitlist. If you have registered for a ticket but then are unable to attend please do let us know so we can offer it to another person on the waitlist. Thank you!
- If you have any accessibility needs or requirements, please do let us know by writing in at scotBAMEwriters@gmail.com at the earliest and we shall do our best to meet your requirements.
- All SBWN events will adhere to our safer spaces policy. You can learn more about our policy here.
Access & Tech
Before participating in this online event, please note the following:
- To participate you will need an internet/wi-fi connection, a desktop or mobile device to join by audio and/or video and writing materials/device.
- Events are hosted online using Zoom (instructions will be sent 2 days before each event or can be accessed via the Eventbrite Online Event page).
- Automatic live captions and transcripts are provided via Otter.ai. Please add your access requirements during registration (for example BSL/in-person captioner) and we’ll do our best to provide.
- You can also email any access requirements to us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Katalina Watt’s writing was Longlisted for Penguin WriteNow 2020 and has been published in various anthologies and magazines including Haunted Voices, Unspeakable, and Extra Teeth.
Katalina is Literature Officer at Creative Scotland and Audio Director for khōréō, a speculative fiction magazine publishing immigrant and diaspora authors. In 2020 she was awarded Literature Alliance Scotland’s Next Level Award for career development.
She previously worked in Audio and Digital for Canongate Books and Hachette, and in event programming for independent bookshops. She has a degree in English Literature from the University of Glasgow and an MSc in Publishing from Edinburgh Napier University.
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them