This workshop will explore the intersection of our mental health and our writing practices. Sign up here!
Please be mindful when booking. This is a workshop for Black writers and writers of colour based in Scotland (or for people who, pre-COVID, would have normally been resident in Scotland).
Join Zebib K. Abraham for this 1.5-hour, online workshop!
This workshop will explore the intersection of our mental health and writing. This will include universal challenges in writing, maintaining good writing practices, managing well-being and self-care, as well as specific challenges around depression, anxiety, OCD, and attentional issues.
We will discuss cognitive distortions around writing/creativity, expectations, goals, mindfulness and healthier writing habits. In the workshop, we will explore ways to balance productivity with an acceptance of individual working styles and individual goals. We will do several exercises to identify and work with negative thoughts around writing. We can discuss individual challenges more broadly but this is not a therapeutic space.
Essential items include: access to the internet, a working camera and mic, and pen and paper
- There is a max of 22 spaces.
- This seminar will be hosted online using Zoom (instructions will be sent to participants closer to the event date).
- The seminar includes a 10-15min comfort break.
- There are two types of tickets: Free tickets for writers on low-income and Pay What You Can (Suggested £5+).
- Our free events are very popular and have a waitlist. If you have registered for a ticket but then are unable to attend please do let us know so we can offer it to another person on the waitlist. Thank you!
- If you have any accessibility needs or requirements, please do let us know by writing in at scotBAMEwriters@gmail.com at the earliest and we shall do our best to meet your requirements.
- All SBWN events will adhere to our safer spaces policy. You can learn more about our policy here.
Access & Tech
Before participating in this online event, please note the following:
- To participate you will need an internet/wi-fi connection, a desktop or mobile device to join by audio and/or video and writing materials/device.
- Events are hosted online using Zoom (instructions will be sent 2 days before each event or can be accessed via the Eventbrite Online Event page).
- Automatic live captions and transcripts are provided via Otter.ai. Please add your access requirements during registration (for example BSL/in-person captioner) and we’ll do our best to provide.
- You can also email any access requirements to us: email@example.com
Zebib K. Abraham, M.D. (she/her) is a writer and psychiatrist. She is completing an MFA at University of Edinburgh. She has been published in The Rumpus, Apparition Lit, The Selkie, Midnight & Indigo, and more, with forthcoming publications in Fantasy Magazine and others. She is black, queer, and from an immigrant background.
Social media handles:
Twitter – @pegasusunder1
Instagram – @pegasusunder