Performance mentorship programme with Courtney Stoddart
Scottish BAME Writers Network is thrilled to announce a new performance mentorship programme in partnership with talented poet and performer, Courtney Stoddart
In December 2020, SBWN is excited to host an online celebration reading to mark the end of our pilot year! We have partnered up with talent Courtney Stoddart, who will select and mentor readers for this event by providing written 1-2-1 feedback. This programme will also include an online workshop for all selected readers, facilitated by Courtney and hosted by SBWN. All events and correspondence will be digital.
Watch Courtney performing Skinfeariority at Fruitmarket Gallery:
- 7 performers will be selected for this programme
- The mentorship programme will take place from October to December.
- Courtney Stoddart will provide 1-2-1 written feedback on each performer’s set
- All 7 performers will be invited to attend an online workshop, facilitated by Courtney
- All 7 performers will be invited to read alongside Courtney at our event in December, and all performers will be paid a £30 reading fee for a performance of 5-7 minutes
We are interested in hearing from writers who work in all styles! Please don’t feel limited by spoken word or slam poetry.
We seek applicants who identify as writers of colour and who are based in Scotland (or normally based in Scotland outside of Covid-19 circumstances). Please only submit an expression of interest if you qualify.
How to Apply
Please send the following materials in an email to ScotBAMEWriters@gmail.com:
- An expression of interest (300 words maximum within the body of email) that includes:
- a) confirmation that you are a writer of colour normally based in Scotland
- b) why you want to participate in this mentorship opportunity and what you hope you will gain from it
- c) your writer’s bio written in third-person (50-words maximum) for marketing purposes.
- A 2-3 page sample of poetry (in any style). This can be in writing or as an audio recording in mp3 format
- If selected, you will be required to have a steady internet connection and access to laptop/desktop, tablet or smartphone.
Please send the above materials to ScotBAMEWriters@gmail.com by the closing date of Wednesday, 30th September, 2020 if you are interested in participating. All applicants will be notified the week of 9th October, 2020. As a reminder, please only apply if you identify as a writer of colour based in Scotland. Thank you!
Courtney Stoddart is a Scottish-Caribbean poet and performer, passionate about fighting against the dominant power structures of our times. She intertwines elements of political, social and historical commentary into rhythm and rhyme, covering themes such as racism, colonialism, imperialism and womanhood. Find her on Twitter @amapoetica, Instagram @amapoetica and Facebook: Courtney Stoddart Poetry. Photo credit: Kat Gollock