This writing workshop will inspire and challenge participants to examine and analyse an unfamiliar cultural experience. Sign up here!
Please be mindful when booking. This is a workshop for Black writers and writers of colour based in Scotland (or for people who, pre-COVID, would have normally been resident in Scotland).
Join Leela Soma for this 1.5-hour, online workshop!
“It’s only words. Airy nothings, colours of breath, and when you breathe in you feel fine and when you breathe out you feel better.” A.L. Kennedy – ‘On Writing.’
This writing workshop will provide inspiration and challenge participants to examine and analyse an unfamiliar cultural experience. The prompts may help you to write a poem, a short story or creative non-fiction. The historical details may help you delve into a culture that is different and lead you to write a piece that is both a unique yet has universal aspects in it.
There are several writing exercises and discussions during the workshop using visual stimulations that will evoke memory and get the creative juices flowing. Yoga may help in exercising not just the body but also the mind. Using short videos and images the workshop will engage the writers in exploring their own view of the creative art of both Dance and Yoga.
Essential items include: access to the internet, a working camera and mic, and pen and paper
- There is a max of 22 spaces.
- This seminar will be hosted online using Zoom (instructions will be sent to participants closer to the event date).
- There are two types of tickets: Free tickets for writers on low-income and Pay What You Can (Suggested £5+).
- Our free events are very popular and have a waitlist. If you have registered for a ticket but then are unable to attend please do let us know so we can offer it to another person on the waitlist. Thank you!
- If you have any accessibility needs or requirements, please do let us know by writing in at scotBAMEwriters@gmail.com at the earliest and we shall do our best to meet your requirements.
- All SBWN events will adhere to our safer spaces policy. You can learn more about our policy here.
Access & Tech
Before participating in this online event, please note the following:
- To participate you will need an internet/wi-fi connection, a desktop or mobile device to join by audio and/or video and writing materials/device.
- Events are hosted online using Zoom (instructions will be sent 2 days before each event or can be accessed via the Eventbrite Online Event page).
- Automatic live captions and transcripts are provided via Otter.ai. Please add your access requirements during registration (for example BSL/in-person captioner) and we’ll do our best to provide.
- You can also email any access requirements to us: email@example.com
Leela Soma was born in Madras, India and now lives in Glasgow, Scotland. Her poems and short stories have been published in several anthologies, and publications. She has published three novels, short stories and two collections of poetry. She was nominated for the Puschcart Prize 2019 and the Erbacce prize 2020.
Social media handles: