Turn the lens, turn the gaze
Scottish Black Writers Group is a free writers group facilitated by Titilayo Farukuoye. It is open to writers across the UK and Ireland who are Black/from the African diaspora, including people of mixed heritage.
Scottish Black Writers Group is a space to meet, chat, network and talk about the writing life – writers both published and unpublished are welcome to join us.
Bring your latest work in progress and share with us!
Whether finished, half written, just an idea or something you would like to dust off and refurbish – of any genre – bring it along to February’s Scottish Black Writers Group, to get a kick of energy and a new feel for your piece through sharing it with your Scottish Black Writer friends!
Need some inspiration? – feel free to experiment and respond to South Sudanese photographer Atong Atem’s work (https://www.atongatem.com/) and her quote: “The first photographs ever taken of Africans were colonial ethnographic depictions that presented the subjects in a really skewed and problematic way – I wanted to see what happens when we turn the lens on ourselves and subvert that ethnographic gaze.”
We are excited to see you there!
Please be mindful when booking. The Scottish Black Writers Group is for writers based across the UK and Ireland who are Black/from the African diaspora, including people of mixed heritage.
- All events are free.
- All events are suitable for people 18+ years.
- Events are hosted online using Zoom (instructions will be sent 2 days before each event or can be accessed via the Eventbrite Online Event page).
- To participate you will need an internet/wi-fi connection and a desktop or mobile device to join by audio and/or video.
- BSL interpretation/captioning/audio description provided on request during registration.
- Events over 2 hours long will have a comfort break in the middle. You may mute your mic/switch off video or take a break at any time.
- Please add any access requirements to the registration form.
- All SBWN events will adhere to our safer spaces policy. You can learn more about our policy here.